SEO has been changing and Google (our most preferred search engines) are constantly changing their algorithms to make sure their first page results are extremely good, relevant, and trigger only high-quality websites.
We know, Links are the #1 signal for ranking a website and while focusing on getting links; we usually forget the on site optimization and that is where we most of the people lack.
So, in this article, I am going to provide a complete guideline of On-Page SEO, its factors and the tips & tricks-base that works in 2020.
Google these days works based on their super-smart algorithm that is run by NLP (natural language processing) and understands the visitor’s intent.
For example, if you search “School” on Google; it will show you universities, colleges, institutes and academies and that means that – the search result is not just based on Keywords on the content and shows up on the front page of Google, but it understands the intent behind a searcher and design the SERPs that way.
Let’s dig it deeper-
Domain Name For SEO
2017 is going to be a year of Partial Match Domains or PMD. PMD means your researched keywords + something relevant to the industry.
For example, if your researched keyword is “best plastic surgeon” then your domain name would be “plastic surgeons hub dot com” or so on.
Still, I would prefer .com TLD as google seems giving it more importance. Though Google reports that, they are not giving importance to any particular TLD or gTLD; but research found that, .com is dominating the search result pages.
The branded domain is for the long term guy who has a real product or business and wants to rank for more competitive keywords. It takes time and needs lots of effort to build a brand.
You can still use a branded domain for any less competitive long-tail keyword, but you have to focus on the Title Tags to optimize the pages and sites for you.
If you have Local SEO in mind; then go for ccTLD (Country Code Top Level Domain). Like, for Google UK, buy a domain with .co.uk. For Google Bangladesh, buy a domain with .com.bd.
Best Practices: We will use PMD like Keyword + Something that is relevant to the researched industry.
Meta Title Optimization
In 2017, Meta Title is probably the most important On-Page SEO factors which Google really care and considered a great spot to increase your website’s CTR which ultimately affect the SEO performance.
Make sure your title is readable. Those days are gone when we used to spam the Title Tag and ranked fine on Google.
In this Semantic Search era, our Title Tag should be readable and meaningful.
Don’t use repetitive keywords on Title Tag and double-check you are not going to use the same keyword on Title and URL at the same time.
Bad Practices: Don’t make your Title Tag like this – “
Best SEO Tips | SEO Tips 2018 | SEO You Should Follow”.
Best Practices: Instead, decorate your Title Tag like This – “ Best SEO Tips To Follow in 2017 To Rank Better in Google”.
And the Title should be 65 characters with space (at most).
Meta Description Optimization
We should be using Meta Description to drive more traffics to our website only. The SEO Part will be taken cared by the Meta Title Tags above.
The Meta Description should be 156 characters with space and include a call to action so that your result on search pages have higher CTR which eventually help you on SEO.
Because, Google tends to rank better the websites which have higher CTR from the SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages).
Bad Practices: Don’t make your Meta Description look like – “
Best Dog Foods Seller Information in USA. Dog Foods Seller Contacts & Details. Affordable Pet Food Sellers at your doorstep”.
Best Practices: Instead, write – “Get the best dog food seller contacts and detailed information of USA who sell pet foods at affordable rate no matter where you live. Visit now and order.”
Header Tags Implementation
Include your most important keywords on the <h1> tag and secondary most important related phrases on the <h2> tags.
For example, if your main keyword is “SEO Service in Bangladesh” then put it in the <h1> tag.
Most of the time, the post title is usually placed at <h1> tag and thus, put your Keyword (main) on the Title Tag.
So, what you would put on the <h2> tags?
Well, find some synonyms and related phrases there. For instance,
- SEO Service company in bangladesh
- SEO experts in Bangladesh
- Search Engine service provider in BD
You get the idea!
Content – the king of On-Page SEO
A Research by CognitiveSEO found that, the longer content you have; the easier it is to rank. Top ranked content on Google Search engine result page is about 1500+ words long (average).
Though, the number varies on the niche and the competition.
In this semantic search and knowledge graph era, try to cover everything in detail of a topic to make it in depth and informative.
For the images to be used on your article, use keyword as your alternative text on the image and use keyword synonyms as your image file name.
Also, have enough variations on your site-wide content.
You may want to decorate some of your contents as List, Videos, Audios, Infographics, traditional blog and other variations as well.
For the local (region targeted) content; include regional name with city, postcode and well-known place of that local to make the content local and rank that content better in that locality (region you are targeting).
Google launched a Freshness algorithm and to pass it; make sure you publish at least one article per month. Its better to publish articles weekly, but one article/month is the minimum you must have to make and publish on your site.
Besides publishing unique contents every month; take any of your previously published articles and edit it, add something valuable and update. You can add some texts, modify existing paragraphs, add images or videos or whatever. Just make sure, you update your previous articles regularly.
Its because, Google loves Up-To-Date contents. Once you edit and update the existing content, it also update the Google Index Timestamps and notify Google that you have improved your existing contents.
Google counts each individual words of a Keyword Phrase. So, make sure a word from your Keyword Phrase don’t repeat too many times on your content. Its better to keep it as low as possible and the recommended number is 15.
For example – if your keyword is “affordable baby diaper”, then “baby” and “diaper” itself will be counted as an individual keyword and we have to be careful while repeating them on our content.
Use synonyms instead to cover it.
For the keyword phrases (your full keyword phrase), it is recommended to maintain a .5% ratio at max. Yes, its zero point five percent, at max.
I mean, if you write a 500 words article; you can mention your exact keywords at maximum 2 times on the content body.
The longer your article is; the ratio will be lowered simultaneously. For example, for 1000 words article, mention your exact keyword at max 3 times.
What to do then?
Well, use synonyms and related phrases instead.
How would you find related phrases?
Just search your keyword on Google and scroll down the result page. At the end of the page; you will find some Google Suggested queries. Include these on your content strategically. Check the image below –
Schema Markup or Structured Data
To list your Organization Name, Social Profiles and Contact Address on the sidebar of your Company/Brand name search on Google; use Organization Schema Markup tag.
To get enlisted on the Google Knowledge Graph and Featured Snippets Block; make sure you include list items, tables on your content.
To show review of your products on Google Search, use review schema tags.
For the shortcut, use Structured Data Highlighter Tool of Google Webmaster Tool.
Google loves authority blog or website.
Its because their web pages and sites always seem to extremely relevant to the queries made by the visitors.
So, how do we the general bloggers / website owners / niche marketers / business owners actually make it happen?
How would we design or construct our contents so that Google think our contents are relevant to the searcher’s intent?
There are some ways to do it. Such as-
- Giving link back to the authoritative sites from your content is the #1 way to do it. For instance, if you have a health blog and giving link back to WebMD is exactly what will benefit you for the Google’s relevancy signal.And following this rule, if you have a sports related blog, linking to the ESPN or FIFA website will make your content more relevant to the niche and Google find your content more relevant to the searcher’s intent.
- Embed related videos from YouTube or audios from Soundcloud or AudioMac will make your content relevant and authoritative.
- Embedding PDF or Slides from Slideshare or Google Doc on your content page will make your content a high quality piece that Google loves to rank.
- If you are doing Local SEO; then embedding Google Map on your content page or mentioning the top brands’s name or contact address or phone numbers will give you the relevancy advantages.
- If you want to rank your service or product content of your website for a particular country or city; then create additional 5 pages of content based on that city or country and link back to your service or product page.For example, you want to rank your “real estate agency Dhaka” page for Google Bangladesh.Now, what you would do as an SEO?Well, you just have to create at least 4-6 pages of content totally based on Dhaka. For instance, you can create pages covering – “History of Dhaka – the capital of Bangladesh”, and “How Dhaka peoples pass their leisure time’ and “The geographical and economical stats of Dhaka you want to know” or something like that.You got the idea…right?
Now from each pages you made about dhaka; link back to your main service page (real estate agency dhaka).
And wait some days for the ranking update. 😉
You probably got the clear idea on how to make your content relevant, authoritative and informative as well.
Now move on.
Internal Linking or Siloing
Siloing is probably the most important factors to increase the website authority and ranking (beside the traditional inbound link building method) most of your internal pages along with the home page.
Lets give you some examples-
Suppose, you have a website and the main keyword for your home page is – “Online Education Consultant” and your website is onlineedcon.com.
So, homepage (onlineedcon.com) keyword is “Online education consultant”.
You may have two other important keywords like “Distance Education Courses” and “Online Education Scholarships”.
And the url of these two keywords would be like –
- onlineedcon.com/distance-education-consultant (you will target Distance Education Courses keyword here here)
- onlineedcon.com/online-education-scholarships (you will target Online Education Scholarships keyword here)
So, when you write a content for the homepage; you will give backlinks from that content to your other important pages as well.
So, the Siloing is to distribute your page juice to your important pages by interlinking system.
See the image above again. I gave links to my consultant pages and scholarship pages as these two pages are important.
So, from my home page (which usually have high link juice and authority) the link juice is being passed to my other two important pages.
And from the scholarship page and I am giving link to “scholarships for mom” page.
So, homepage link is being passed to the scholarship page and from the scholarship page; some links are being passed to the “scholarship for mom” page.
From the “mom scholarship” page, a backlink is being passed to the homepage (if we do the siloing right).
And this is the way, most important pages are linked and when your homepage get a link; all of your linked page get some juices and ranked better on Google for their respective keywords.
While doing siloing; make sure you don’t over optimize your target anchor text.
Maintain a 50% target anchor text, 25% brand anchor text and 25% relevant or synonym based anchor text.
This is the basics of Siloing. If you are still confused about it; please comment below. I will try to reply with the possible solutions.
On Page SEO Checklist
This is the wrap-up of all the On Page SEO stuffs we discussed above. Just scan the bullet points below to stay updated in 2017 –
- Domain Name – Go for a partial match domain name for easy optimization for SEO ahead.
- Meta Title – You don’t have to put your Keywords adjacently on the Title Tag anymore. Make it meaningful.
- Meta Description – Use it for increasing CTR which will help your site ranked better. Have a bold Call to Action word on your Meta Description to improve CTR%.
- Header Tags – H1 tags are for your most important keyword and H2 and H3 is for the rest.
- Content – Update your existing content regularly and publish a new post at least once a month. Use table or ordered/un-ordered list on your content to get into the Google’s Featured Snippet Block or in Google Knowledge Graph.
- Keyword Implementation- Maintain .5% keyword ratio. Use synonyms and related phrases as much as possible over the body of your content.
- Schema Markup – Use required WP plugin or Google Data Highlighter to install Schema Tags on your website.
- Content Relevancy- Use related outbound link, videos, pdf or Google map on your site to relate your content with the searcher’s intent.
- Siloing – Make sure you interlink your new post to your important pages always. From our old pages; link back to your homepage as well.
Let me know if I missed something important to include in this guide. Comment blow your thoughts, suggestions and share this onpage complete guideline with your marketing friends. 🙂